On the Poldark Trail
A hit in the 70’s, Poldark has made a welcome return to our screens. Set against a backdrop of beautiful Cornish locations, did you fall for the characters or the stunning beauty of Cornwall?
Fantastic story, fabulous locations
When author Winston Graham wrote his Poldark series, he researched the ancient archives of Cornwall, unearthing stories of mine owners and workers. The result is a captivating story with believable characters. What may be harder to visualise, is the rarity of the Cornish landscape and conditions mine workers lived and worked in.
Rugged and stunning, the Cornish coastline with its strange engine houses perched on cliff tops and wild beauty of the moors, reflects the spirit of the story.
Main Poldark locations in Cornwall
- Lellizzick cliffs and The Camel Estuary, near Padstow – the sweeping panoramic of the sea and cliffs in the opening credits.
- St Breward, Bodmin – Ross Poldark’s home. The wild moors are also where Dwight Enys’ cottage is situated.
- Porthcothan – Nampara Cove.
- The coastline from Botallack to Levant – cliff scenes with engine houses.
- Levant Mill – Tressiders Rolling Mill.
- Holywell Bay – where Dwight Enys and Caroline Penvenen race across the sand on horseback.
- St Agnes – the Engine House on the cliffs and St Ann’s Village. St Agnes Head is Nampara Valley.
- Charlestown – represents the harbour and Truro.
- Church Cove Gunwalloe, The Lizard – smuggling scenes.
- Porthgwarra – famous for where Ross takes a dip in the water.
Many of the cove and smuggling scenes took place in the far south and west of the county.
However, numerous cliff top scenes take place in and around the bays and Camel Estuary close to Bay Retreat Villas.
Nampara Cove was represented by Porthcothan and Constantine Bay also featured in the series. To view where Nampara Village was filmed, head down the coast to St Agnes or head north to Bodmin to view the location of Nampara House at St Breward.
The wild landscape of Bodmin also features as a pathway from Nampara to Trewithen and is where the cottages are located for Dwight Enys and some of the miners.